It is located on a corner of the ground floor of the remains of Hagia Zion, a Byzantine church; The upper floor of the same building was also associated with the Cenacle, the place where the Last Supper took place and where the Eucharist was instituted.
In 1335, the church became a Franciscan monastery, which remained until 1521 when the new Ottoman occupiers of Jerusalem decreed the expulsion of the monks, who could still keep some room.
Finally, due to tensions with the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople, the monastery closed in 1551, and was occupied by a Muslim family, which turned it into a mosque dedicated to King David.
The entrance to the Christians was totally forbidden until the 19th century. After the Arab-Israeli war of 1948, it fell from the Israeli side of the Green Line.
Between 1948 and 1967 the Old City was occupied by Jordan, which forbade Jews to pray at the Wailing Wall. As Mount Zion was the closest place to the Temple Mount, Jewish pilgrims chose to pray on the roof of the Tomb of David.
The building is currently part of the Yeshiva Diaspora and owned by the State of Israel.
Thank you and happy night.
via 500px http://ift.tt/2stOoey