A bridge on the site was first suggested as early as 1488. The provveditore Luca Trum proposed in the Council to build two bridges across the Grand Canal, one here and the other at Santa Sofia. The members of the Council, however, laughed at him, and the motion was not even put to the vote. The original steel structure, designed by Alfred Neville, opened on 20th November, 1854, but was demolished and replaced by a wooden bridge designed by Eugenio Miozzi and opened in 1933, despite widespread hopes for a stone bridge. The second bridge, in a dangerous condition, was razed and replaced by the present bridge, of identical construction, in 1985. As of 2011, a replacement bridge is under discussion.
Lovers attach padlocks (“love locks”) to the metal hand rails of the bridge, but the Venice authorities have attempted to crack down on this.
via 500px http://ift.tt/2rskcxi